To provide advice and representation in a variety of non-criminal legal problems. Will accompany clients to court hearings and administrative hearings. Will schedule an appointment for client to come into the office if they are needing legal advice on a matter that the office handles through office priorities.
Generally, Prairie State staff seek to be available for those legal matters that impact a householdís ability to meet itís basic human needs for protection from violence and abuse, access to medical assistance, subsistence income, or access to decent affordable housing.
Some of the cases commonly accepted
for more extensive legal representation include:
* Domestic Violence Orders of Protection (when legal representation is needed)
* Denials/terminations of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits
* Financial exploitation or abuse of the elderly or persons with disabilities
* Problems associated with nursing home care or paying for nursing home care
* Denials of special education services required for children with disabilities
* Denials or evictions from public or subsidized housing
* Denials or terminations of government assistance (welfare benefits, food stamps, home health care, veteransí benefits, Medicaid)
*Terminations of housing subsidies such as Section 8 certificates or vouchers
* Illegal lock-outs and wrongful evictions
* Utility shut-offs
* Custody/visitation matters where there is evidence that a child is in danger
* Representation of victims of domestic violence to obtain a divorce
* Denials of admission to public schools
* Denials of or evictions from housing in violation of Fair Housing Laws (because of race, age, disability, or family status)
* Improper garnishment of exempt income or assets (governmental assistance, etc.)
Attorneys from the community volunteer to accept some types of cases such as divorces, bankruptcies, guardianships, or other matters. Such services vary in each community. In some communities, volunteer attorneys may assist with preparation of wills and handle real estate issues.
Not-for-profit corporation that provides free legal help to senior citizens and low-income persons.
English and Spanish
Pledge for Life Partnership Initiative
1 Stuart Drive
Kankakee, IL 60901