The Milford Township Public Library was established April 6, 1896 in two rooms in the New Odd Fellows Building. With a gift of $7,000 from Andrew Carnegie, the present brick and stone building was constructed in 1906 and became taxsupported. In 1933 the basement rooms were remodeled and made into community rooms for clubs and group meetings. The complete remodeling of the basement for a children's library was made possible by a donation of $33,000 from the S. M. Brown and Laura Brown Charitable Trust in 1975 and 1976. The library conducts story hours for pre-school and school age children. The Milford Township Public Library became a district library on November 17, 1989. The district covers 122.35 miles, which makes it one of the largest districts in the state. The Milford District Library is celebrating its 100th anniversary as an established library in 1996.On June 23, 2000 the Milford District Library hosted an "Open House" in celebration of the completion of a seven month addition/renovation project. This project has been a goal of the community for the past seven years, culminating with a Live & Learn Construction grant of $119,000 from the State Library; and from Capital Development the library received $261,000 in state budget money. These monies added to the library's Handicap Access Project Fund made the project a reality at long last. The library now has a new ground level entrance with a modified chairlift located right inside the door.
Provides library services.
Pledge for Life Partnership Initiative
1 Stuart Drive
Kankakee, IL 60901